[Zope] [Newbie] Making my own authentication form

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:20:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Trevor Toenjes wrote:

> This is a FAQ that I have never seen a good answer for...
> I have never found a how-to or any references to the API.
>
> The best solutuion I have seen is to search for "User products" that
> implement their own way of doing things. (search for CookieCrumbler,
> XUF..etc.)  And read the source.
> But this doesnt really help you with your question...
> "how to do it yourself."
>
> IMHO, this is a shortcoming of Zope and since I am lobbying for this... :)
> Add your 2 cents in that "the acl_users API be extended for HTML
> login-forms, cookie auth, and extensible-properties-of-users" should be
> added to Z2.6.  An API needs to be defined to deprecate all these user
> solutions that dont play well together.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor

Ummm... perhaps I'm missing something, but it's really quite easy with
exUserFolder or CookieCrumbler. They provide login DTML forms and you
can just customized them if you want to change their appearance. Don't
have to get involved in the API at all to make this happen.

I think that extensible-properties-of-users, non-ZODB-authentication,
and cookie-auth are all things that should be moved into the core.
I'd root for exUserFolder for this; it's very flexible about where the
data is stored, and uses extensible-user-properties.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant