[Zope] Apache ProxyPass + Zope == bad?

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:01:50 +0000

At 10:09 08/03/2002 -0500, Zachery Bir wrote:
>Just a word. Don't know if it's been brought up before, but mod_proxy,
>using the details on zope.org ( even though outdated ) like this:
>
>NameVirtualHost 192.192.123.234
>
><VirtualHost 192.192.123.234>
>ServerName www.fightclub.org
>ServerAdmin tyler@fightclub.org
>
>ProxyPass / http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/fightclub/
>ProxyPassReverse / http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/fightclub/
>ProxyPass /misc_ http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/misc_
>ProxyPass /p_ http://zserver.xyz.com:9180/p_
>
></VirtualHost>
>
>Will open up your server to be a Proxy server on the net.

No it doesn't.

You must turn ProxyRequests on for your server to become a a
general-purpose-all-of-the-internet proxy server.

For ProxyPass to work you do not have to turn ProxyRequest on. Indeed in
most cases when front-ending Zope with Apache you do not want to do that.
And that instructions didn't say to do that.

As a generalisation, using mod_proxy is probably less resource demanding
that using mod_rewrite and an entirely sensible choice in many cases.