[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:30:49 +0100

Ron Arts writes:
 > 1. Difficult installation.
 > The windows install is good, but you're missing most of the opensource
 > community if the unix/linux people don't install zope. And many
 > people *only* install rpm (if only for easy removal).
Zope's (non RPM) installation lives in a single directory.
Removal is as easy as with "rpm": "rm -r Zope".

 > 3. downloadable product list.
 >
 > Many products I downloaded did not work with my zope 2.5.0. ZopeGUD
 > is broken. I could not even create an RPM for ZMySQLDA, even though
 > I asked around on this list. So I still don't have MySQL access.
Apparently, that's because you are fixed to RPM...

 > Other products are listed as unmaintained. Why are they still on the
 > list?
Probably, because they may nevertheless be useful...

Dieter