So what will we do? (was [Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:10:21 +0100

Derek Simkowiak writes:
 > 	My personal opinion is that Zope Corp needs to realize that the
 > community is faltering due to lack of docs, and re-prioritize.  No,
 > writing docs won't bring in cash directly.  No, developers are not happy
 > retrofitting docs for production-level code.  But as somebody who stuck my
 > neck out for Zope, and is now realizing how hard it is to find up-to-date
 > info, I think this is a fair thing to ask of Zope Corp.
A strange view...

   When Zope Corp would realize that its work falters, this would
   call for re-prioritization.

   When the community (or part thereof) realizes it needs more documentation,
   then it can start to provide them.

   You got Zope, a nice piece of software. What did you give
   that you think it is fair to ask for more?

   I think, Zope Corp has the same right than you have to focus
   on their customer projects and only then look for the community...

 > 	Unfortunately, books can't keep up with issues (like Office XP and
 > WebDAV), and the HowTos (or even mini-HowTos) just aren't getting written.
Then start to write some of them! You are part of the community...

Dieter