RTFM? IWMITWAFM! (Was: Re: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 12:31:03 +0100

Douglas Carnall writes:
 > When I see posts from core Zope people
 > saying (basically) RTFM rather than precisely referencing an issue it
 > depresses me, because in fact every time they do that they are weakening the
 > platform I hope to learn, and increasing the drag on the efforts of others
 > to get started.
 >
 > Maybe if, as a friendly courtesy, everyone who responds on an
 > already-discussed issue included one relevant URL in their reply Zope would
 > start to be a better documented place.
You ask for a lot, too much for me personally, at least:

  I read several hundred posts per day and respond to about a dozen.
  I have only a few minutes per post. While, of course, it would
  take only some additional few minutes to look up a (single) precise URL
  or reference, I get angry when someones asks "URL please!".

  It is his problem not mine. He cannot expect that I take longer
  to help him solve his problem than he is ready to work on it himself.
  Therefore, many of my responses are: background reading, mailing list
  archives, search Zope.org...

When you think that weakens the community and you want to change something,
then you are invited to take over where I (and others) stop.

Dieter