Quality vs. Quantity (Was: Re: RTFM? IWMITWAFM! (Was: Re: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...))

Howard Hansen zope@halfmagic.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:16:08 -0800

Excellent point.  People should do what they feel comfortable doing.  If you
want to point someone in the right direction rather than escorting them to
their destination and writing up an account of the journey, more power to
you.

So I think the biggest issue is closing the loop.  The asker asks, the
answerer answers, then the asker closes the loop by reporting back to the
list.  If it makes sense, they should put together a HOWTO on the zope.org
site.

In fact, I've taken the liberty of drafting something that I call the Dieter
Maurer Answer Public License (DMAPL):

The recipient of this terse advice is hereby obligated to close the loop.
This means that if you take the advice and unearth useful URLs or other bits
of information, you are duty-bound to report this information back to the
mailing list, and complete one of the following at Zope.org:

  * Quick summary of the problem and solution (15 min.)
  * Sub-hour HOWTO (<60 min.: example:
http://www.zope.org/Members/howardhansen/debianstartupscript)
  * Full-blown HOWTO (>1 hr.: example:
http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/zopeinstall/ZOPE-INSTALL-HOWTO

Of course, there's no reason that one of these loop closers couldn't grow
from a few paragraphs to several pages as time goes by.

And always remember to click on the Catalog tab and get your submission
added to the full-text search.

The Quick Summary will probably take as long to catalog as to write.

The Sub-hour HOWTO might have a structure like this:
  * Overview
    * quick discussion of problem/platform/solution
  * Solution
    * talk about how you made it work
  * Conclusions
    * helpful or related links

The full-blown HOWTO might have a structure like this:
  * Overview
    * talk about who needs to read this
    * list/discuss the techniques used
  * Detailed description of the problem to be solved
  * Assumptions, including, but not limited to:
    * hardware platform
    * operating system
    * software version(s)
    * user experience level
  * Introduction
  * HOWTO
    * Step-by-step with code snippets, screenshots, etc.
  * Conclusions
    * helpful or related links
    * other options

Howard Hansen