[Zope] ftp and virtual hosting question

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle@kuehne-nagel.com
12 Mar 2002 14:43:14 +0100

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 14:08, Richard Barrett wrote:
> At 18:36 11/03/2002 -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> >I've configured virtual hosting with zope and apache per
> >http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver.  How do I configure zo=
pe
> >so that users for each virtual host ftp right into the virtual host fold=
er?
> >Thanks for any tips.

Apache and proxypass may not be the best route for you to research.=20
Your best bet (if you are using linux, that is:) is to forward the
incoming ftp traffic to the ftp port used by zserver (8021, on my
laptop).  This means you get to play around with IP Masquerade and other
kernel networking schtuff:

	http://www.linux.com/howto/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO-6.html#Forwarders

.. but it still may not solve your virtual-ftp problem.  Maybe you could
investigate a combination of ProFTPd virtual ftp hosts?  Or, depending
on your needs, you could use ProFTPd to dump uploads into a directory
that is accessed from Zope via either ExternalFile or ExtFile products,
and then automate the 'upload' from filesystem to ZODB.

	http://www.proftpd.org/

Finally, you could also try WebDAV.  Apache does translate WebDAV well
through mod_dav, so you could try using apache VirtualHost and point it
to certain directories on the WebDAV port of zserver (8081 on my
laptop).

I think WebDAV rocks the house (uses SSL too if you want it).  That
would be the first route of research for me; but your customers may
demand ftp.  Ftp is a bad habit, like smoking cheap cigarettes.  Move up
to a big fat cigar, scp.

	http://www.openssh.org/

Hey, with a title like mine, I gotta say it.  -;^>=3D

--=20

Mitch Pirtle
Corporate Security Officer
K=FChne & Nagel Management AG