[Zope] Strange pdf problem

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:48:29 -0800

This really just sounds like byte-serving problems.  Acroread, I believe
just loads up enough of the doc to get an index of byte offsets for each
page page and stops the download after the first page can be displayed - it
doesn't have to load the whole doc.  This, of course assumes that the HTTP
server supports (correctly) byte-serving.

What version of Zope is being used?

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Simkowiak [mailto:dereks@realloc.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 1:30 PM
To: Markus Schaber
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Strange pdf problem

-> Linux. This seems to imply that it's a problem with the acroread plugin,
-> and not with the OS or the Browser.

	Not necessarily.  The Acroread plugin fires up as soon as it sees
the Content-Type: header.  The browser is still the one managing the
TCP/IP and HTTP connections.

	But Acroread won't display anything on the screen until it has the
entire document--this is different from HTML, where browsers try to render
as much as they can as soon as they can.

	It might be a problem with HTTP 1.1 chunks... If you have the
time, do this:  Do an ethereal sniff of a single (failed) PDF request,
save that as a parsed, human-readable text file (I don't remember the
ethereal options), and then post it somewhere via HTTP and send the URL to
the mailing list.  I will download it and take a look at it.

--Derek