[Zope] Zope slooooowww

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:24:43 +0000

Ron Arts wrote:
>> What is your load average?   CPU utilization?  Disk activity?  Perhaps
>> you could post a 'vmstat 2 10' the system idling vs. starting up zope
>> vs. viewing a page in started up Zope?

<snip stats>

So that seems pretty clear:  Zope is running your processor into the
ground :(

> I used the RPM that is on www.zope.org, recreated that using the newest
> Zope version (only thing I needed to change was add some products to
> the spec file). The Zope RPM is running fine withouth CMF and plone.
>
> If I add CMF it gets a lot slower, but when I add plone it really sucks.

CMF uses ZPT, even without plone.  There is anecdotal evidence that ZPT
may be up to 2 times slower than DTML, plus as has already been pointed
out, older versions 'cook' all of the ZPT on startup.

More RAM should help your system cope better.  When viewing pages there
were up to 3 processes swapped out.

Otherwise, upgrade to the latest versions of Zope and CMF.  The CMF cvs
HEAD is very stable, though obviously no-one will offer you guarantees.
  On the other hand, ZC will be releasing a 1.3 version soon, which
won't be very different from the HEAD as it is currently, so you could
safely use it for development, then upgrade to the release version.

I think you're probably going to need some new kit, though :-(

...but basically, it seems you have hit on a minimum recommended system.
  It also demonstrates that ZPT is in need of some serious optimisation,
IMO.

seb