[Zope] Re: [Zope3-dev] a note on groups and roles

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:15:20 +0100

From: "Jeremy Hylton" <jeremy@zope.com>
>   LR> Well, currently Zope doesn't have any groups at all, so what the
>   LR> Zope philosophy in that case is a bit fuzzy. :-) But yes, a
>   LR> group would be a set ofprincipals.
>
> Groups are a big help, and we can already use roles to implement
> "groups," so they exist in some sense.

Well, you can use roles as if they are groups, and that roles are Zopes name
for groups are a common misconception.

> (Is it possible to assign one role to another role?  A SuperDeveloper
> had developer and super roles?)

No, and I don't think it should be possible either. A role consists of the
permissions needed to perform the tasks you need in an organisational role.
Making groups of roles would add an level of indirection that really has no
purpose, and it will only make the user interface more complicated.

>   LR> But if groups do nothing more than group
>   LR> principals, then groups are only a way to make assignments of
>   LR> one principal to several roles quicker.
>
> Quick has nothing to do with it.  The hierarchy promotes modularity in
> security administration and makes it easier to reason about the policy.

Groups, as discussed so far, are only collection of principals, and are
therefore only useful in making assignments of one principal to several
local roles quicker.

There are several ways of implementing hierachies, and if they promote
modularity and makes it easier to reason about a policy depends in part on
how that implementation is done. If hierarchies are introduced I think the
most useful way would be by creating a user hierarchy with organisational
units in which users are placed, a la NDS.
It would be misleading to call these organisational units "groups".

Hierarchy can be useful, but what is also useful is orthogonality, which you
don't get with groups. With "workgroups" you do.

> I'm not sure what the innovate roles concept is :-).

Thats interesting, since you have been discussing it. :-)