[Zope] Setting up a dedicated Zope box

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
24 Mar 2002 20:10:39 -0700

On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 18:44, Chris McDonough wrote:
> > Chris, how high of an rps would you expect a nicely powered (say, dual
> > Athlon 2000+, 1-2GB RAM) ZEO Server to handle, roughly speaking?
>
> Depending on the type of site it was (writes are much more expensive
> than reads in almost all contexts), and how well the code was written,
> I'd imagine that a single Zope backended by ZEO could crank out on the
> order of 30 - 90 r/s.  But the ZEO server isn't the bottleneck here,
> it's Zope.

Right, I want to determine if anyone knows what the ZEO Server's limit
is.

> The ZEO server I mentioned that spikes the processor is fronted by 10
> ZEO clients, but each appserver is only capable of delivering a nominal
> 7 requests/sec due to a lack of app optimization.  After caching, the
> ZEO server ends up servicing somewhere on the order of 5 transactions
> per second or so during normal load, but I can imagine that it's serving
> about 5X that number during peak periods.

OK, so I'll use TPS then. :)

So, the aforementioned ZSS is peaking (estimated) at ~25 TPS. We can
safely assume that it could handle ~90 TPS (as in the case of a single
Zope Server connected to it.

Basically, I'm looking at it like this:
Assuming good code, an emphasis on reads, and several hundred Zope
Server front ends, at what point, measured in TPS, could I expect my ZSS
to fall over? Not RPS for the whole site overall, but transactions per
second for the storage server.

Through ZEO, Zope has awesome potential to scale, but we will eventually
hit a limit when it comes to a single ZEO Storage Server. It would be
good to know that limit.

--
Bill Anderson
Linux in Boise Club                  http://www.libc.org