[Zope] Re: Copying a Zope Site

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:04:11 -0800

> From: "Bill Bell" <bill-bell@bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca>
> kapil thangavelu <kthangavelu@earthlink.net> wrote, in part:
> > take a look andy's zsyncer product ... http://www.zope.org/Members/andym
>
> Does ZSyncer preserve modification dates? I mean, if one copies a site
> using this product will invididual objects in the newly minted copies have
> the same modification dates as the originals?

No, I believe it changes the modification dates. This is
how it knows what is out of synch, unless I am very much
mistaken.

I'm less sure of the behavior of import/export, though I
think it changes dates too.

IMHO, if you are moving a site en-masse, I think you'd
be better off to use import/export. Zsyncers value
would seem to be in moving small changes from the
staging site to the production site, after having made
the initial deployment.

I am still not happy with the mechanisms for staging a
site when it is necessary to merge-back changes originating
from the production site (e.g. user comments which have
been added to a website).  This requires some very careful
thought on your part, if you have such a requirement (I
still haven't figured it all out, so I would muddle the
issue with any specific recommendations!).

Of course, ultimately this is what ZEO is about, but it's
an automatic method, so I don't think there's much opportunity
to intervene in the process and copy selectively. That's what
Zsyncer does. There is a hack to Zsyncer to make it reversible
(I have a copy emailed from the original author -- it may not be
available on the web, yet), but it's supposed to have some
significant bugs with the file time handling.

It does the synching manually though, so it's not like a
CVS check-in, where you get the *most-recent* version from
either site.  That's probably what I really want, but I
don't know how to set it up yet.

I've been meaning to look into that, but haven't found the
time. sigh. But it does exist.

Ultimately ZEO + versions may be the "right" way to do
this, but I haven't even begun to figure that out.

Cheers,
Terry

Terry Hancock
hancock@anansispaceworks.com