[Zope] color-syntax editor for dtml

Jason Earl jason.earl@simplot.com
01 May 2002 14:25:07 -0600

Now, I realize that text editors are a highly personal affair, but I
can't for the life of me figure out why it is that Emacs doesn't get
more attention, especially amongst Zopistas.  Emacs will happily edit
Zope objects via FTP, it has intelligent modes for SQL, DTML, HTML, XML,
and Python (and a whole lot more).  In fact, Emacs' Python mode and
PSGML (xml mode) are really hard to beat.  Modern versions of Emacs are
also about as point-and-clicky as you could want (in a text editor
anyway), and there is even a very useable vi emulation mode for folks
that are allergic to Emacs-style key chording.  Not too mention the fact
that Emacs runs on everything that can even remotely be considered as a
"computer."  Approximately a million years ago Emacs had the downside of
being a resource hog, but compared to most recent development packages
Emacs is positively svelte.

Sorry for the rant, Emacs made me do it.

Jason