[Zope] Re: color-syntax editor for dtml

Robin S. Socha robin@xemacs.org
Thu, 02 May 2002 11:22:33 -0500

* Milos Prudek <milos.prudek@tiscali.cz> writes:
> Jason Earl wrote:

>> Now, I realize that text editors are a highly personal affair, but I
>> can't for the life of me figure out why it is that Emacs doesn't get
>> more attention, especially amongst Zopistas.  Emacs will happily edit
>
> Emacs is very different from vim (or vice-versa :-)),

Indeed. vim is an editor. (X)Emacs is a development environment. Editing
with Emacs goes way beyond writing text and highlighting their
syntax. If you find anything closely resembling
http://www.zope.org/Members/alburt/dtml_mode.html for vim, you may call
me whatever name you fancy. But you won't. It's a philosophy thing - you
can whack together 20 programs and run them from or beside vim; or you
can use an integrated tool like XEmacs and benefit from one (admittedly
slightly archaic) user interface for things like ftp, CVS, DTML, XML,
HTML... you name it.

> so people who use mainly vim and are very proficient in vim find it
> difficult to adapt to.

Not at all. And neither vice versa. I use both, but for different
purposes: vim is a great and fast editor. I use it to edit texts. I
don't use it for any sort of programming, mainly because I'm used to
saying things like C-x C-q and watch the file check itself into CVS.

> Other issues:
>
> - emacs is huge. This means that it is often not installed on many
>   systems (even though it can run on those systems). Vim is always
>   installed. And if not vim, then at least vi.

Yes, Emacs is huge. Eighty Megs And Constantly Swapping. But how large
is vim plus nsgmls plus a web browser plus an ftp client plus...

> - emacs is very very stable. Vim is rock stable. It just never crashed
>   on me.

It's crashed on me. Both of them have. Very rarely.

> Do you know if emacs supports DTML highligting even for &dtml-var;
> entity syntax?

If not (I don't use syntax highlighting), it can be easily added. Remember:
XEmacs is the extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time display
editor. And then some.

Besides which, XEmacs looks 1000x slicker than vim:
http://my.gnus.org/Members/robin/Wiki/CustomSetup