[Zope] zope as ftp-server

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 2 May 2002 22:38:44 +0200

mich wyser writes:
 > As i want to manage anything with zope, I also want to use Zope as pure ftp-
 > server. The idea is to let admins manage users/closed groups by the ZMI and a
 > to give a simple public interface over the ftp-file-structure for the end user
 >
 > My idea was to take LocalFs or ExtFile and store the Files externally on the
 > File System.
When I tried recently, LocalFS did not support FTP (LocalFS objects are not
FTP listable). Would probably be possible to fix.

 > Now i see some Problems/Questions
 >
 > 1. Is there any Possibility to turn off ObjeAct-Acquisiton ?
What do you mean by this?

Zope's standard FTP support refuses to provide FTP services for
acquired objects (there's a patch from me that removes this restriction,
but you do not need it to apply).

 > 2. How can i do Logging / Quotas
Logging should not be too difficult.

Zope already logs some FTP activity. If it is not enough, you
add what you need.

Quotas is a bit more difficult, as there is no provision to
manage the amount of data below a point.
Someone did Quata checking, however. Search the mailing list arvhices.

 > 3. Stability of ftp-server in Zope
FTP is not easy across a firewall, but you probably know that.

Search the mailing list archives for more information.
Recently, I did no longer see major problem reports (beside
firewall issues).

Dieter