[Zope] ZClasses vs. Python Products

Sean Hastings sean@havenco.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:33:44 -0700

Help!

I Have chosen Zope to do a new web app. It is a 2 man project - 1
Programer - 1 UI Designer with programing experience.

I am trying to decide whether to build the App using Zclasses or Python
Product.

I found this URL
"http://zdp.zope.org/portals/developers/designstrategies/products"
It lists advantages of Python product as:
    1. You can upgrade them.
    2. You can write all of your logic in Python.
    3. You write your UI in DTML.
    4. You can manage all of this using CVS

However:
    1. it then says why it is harder to change things in a python product.
    2. I can still use python scrips with Zclasses
    3. I can still write the UI in DTML
    4. There appears to be a CVS extension for Zope available.

On Zope IRC I was told that there are some scalability, stability, and code
mainatanance issues issues with Zclasses but did not recieve any elaboration
on that. What are the issues?

It seems like I lose a lot of the advantages of Zope's second veiw by using
a Python Product - in that I can't have my UI person atatch DTML methods to
the classes I write.

What future developments can I expect? Will ZClasses become better in the
future? Will more second Veiw handles be added for Python Products? Might
code be written to generate a Python Product directly from a ZClass based
Product?

The consensus on Zope IRC was that "ZClasses suck", but I am failing to see
the advantage of not just building a product with ZClasses from within Zope.
What am I Missing? Can anyone direct me to further information - or give me
an example of a situation where I would be in bad shape to have chosen
ZClasses over Python Product?

I need to make this decision soon.

--Sean Hastings
--sean@havenco.com