[Zope] ZClasses vs. Python Products

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer@yahoo.com
Sat, 4 May 2002 01:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

I have also gotten the impression, from mail archives etc. etc., that
python is the overall better way to create products.  So far I've done
one simple Catalog-aware product with ZClasses and am about to try a
simple python product.  Thanks for the link on auto-updating
attributes, etc. - I didn't know that wouldn't happen with python
products.

The main issue I read/heard about was inefficiencies and implementation
issues using ZClasses with Catalogs (which is what I'm doing).  I
gathered that ZClasses use Catalogs sloppily and/or inefficiently, and
there were a couple 'gotchas' and/or kludges in ZClass implementation
that I can't recall offhand.  I know that the auto-recataloging does
not work as described in the ZB and ZDG examples...I have to manually
poke the Catalog to catalog a changed attribute value.

If anyone has a concise scoop on ZClass weaknesses, please post... :-)

John S.