[Zope] calling DTMLFile from an External Method

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 11:08:58 -0400

[Tim Lynch]

> How do I make use of DTMLFile from an External Method?
>
> No matter what I try, I can't get it to work.  I think I'm
> now close, but can't get past this latest problem:

Even after you find out how, I urge you not to do it.  Instead, write some
more Python code in your external method to do the processing you want to
do.  Then return the result to a dtml method or document to be rendered for
display.  If you need to pass some data from a dtml method to the external
method, pass it as a parameter when you call the external method.

Alternatively, have your dtml method call the external method, get the
results, and then continue to process them with dtml.

Work hard to maintain a clean separation between the External Method code
and dtml.  Your code will be much easier to understand and maintain.

Cheers,

Tom P