[Zope] OpenOffice, Webdav question

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 14:40:30 +0200

Paul Browning wrote:

>[Integrating OO/Zope through COM]
>
> Comments? IHMO this is a killer application for any intranet
> and indeed Zope in general ....... moreover post-processing
> of the so-called HTML that Word produces (dunno about Open
> Office) allows such converted documents to be used in contexts
> of wider visibility (so due regard can be paid to accessibility
> issues, etc).

Integrating OpenOffice and zope will indeed be a very cool killer
application. The more I look at OO, the more I like it and think it will
have a great impact.
As for integration via COM, I'm no expert at this, but using UNO (OO's
component model) might be the better way.
Take a look at
http://polysorbate.org/?work/pyuno
the beginning of python bindings for UNO.
I'm very excited about the possibilites which this might offer in the
future, unfortunately I'm quite unfamiliar with the exotic language OO
is implemented in ;-).

Another remark, perhaps for OpenOffice Documents it might be worth
contemplating about not going the conversion route (at least in some
cases - e.g. spreadsheets), instead doing something with the files
natively, it's XML afterall.

cheers,
oliver