[Zope] Optimisation fun and games

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 12:53:53 +1000

On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:32, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> >> Do you mean hits (images, pages, everything) or page impressions?
> >
> > It's an approximation of number of visits - ie. the number of hits on our
> > front page HTML.
>
> 550,000 visits? You mean visits? Well that's plenty. If you assume 3-4 page
> impressions per visit, you get 2 million page impressions. I found 128
> images on your frontpage. Including the page itself, this is 129 hits per
> page impression. This results in 258,000,000 hits in 15 days. I think 9 ZEO
> clients are really needed in this case ;-)

That estimate is actually a bit high due to the client-side caching of images.
We have a number (just under 100) of domains with their own access logs.
Taking the most popular domain in May, www.ekno.lonelyplanet.com, we have
around 200k visits resulting in around 12 million hits. That accounts for
about half the traffic we see (and one of the apaches I mentioned - all other
domains go through the second apache).

    Richard