[Zope] DTML or TAL

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:42:51 -0700

> > DTML support will be retained and even improved in the future. the
> > difference in DTML- and ZPT-support is simply how much time we are
spending
> > on it. more time is going into ZPT because we use it more extensively
> > internally and the take-up in the community seems to indicate the same
is
> > true for a large part of zope developers out there.
>
> For me, that reads pretty close to "DTML is on its way out and ZPT on its
way in."

No it reads what it says. DTML works.

> > DTML is as valid and future-proof a templating system for zope as ZPT
is.

> Sorry, I gotta point out how crazy that is... Have you tried maintaining
DTML you wrote 2
> years ago when you didn't know you had to be really careful about using
""?

Yes, and bad DTML is hard to maintain. Im sure we are going to see some
really ugly ZPT that is hard to maintain. So is really badly written Python.
The main reason DTML from 2 years ago sucked was the lack of Python Scripts
in the days when you either wrote DTML or a Product.
--
  Andy McKay