[Zope] Eazy product updated

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:59:49 +0200

New version is 0.0.2 ;-)

It is used in production and is stable!

Get it here:
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/easyProduct/files/easy_002.zip
Contains 1 library module and 2 examples/templates

And read more about it here:
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/easyProduct/index_html

Biggest change:
Products created with the "easy" module is now automatically catalog
aware. So that full text searching is possible via Catalog.

1 Bug fixed:
I had forgotten to add boolean as legal property type.

      what is the "mxm Easy product"
      ========================

It has long bothered me to no end that when I write Python based
products that there was a lot of repeat code. Thus violating the DRY
pinciple (Don't Repeat Yourself).

Also it has been to difficult to get started with a new product, with
too many things that had to be just right to get going. So you have had
to take one of your old products and do extensive search and replace to
get going. Thats a bother.

So I have made two simple classes encapsulating my best practices in
writing products. They make it REALLY simple to get a product up and
running, and have no penalty as such.

One class is for making simple products with content. Like articles,
user info, Issues, animal info;-) etc.

The other class is for making ObjectManagers. They behave like an item,
but can contain other objects. So it's folder like.

I believe that this kind of functionality should have been built into
Zope to begin with, as it would solve the beginner problems for 90% of
the people trying to create Python products.

Thus flattening the "Z" shaped learning curve.

regards Max M