[Zope] Multithreading issue - python, zope, opensbd, et al

Graham King Graham.King@team.ozemail.com.au
Thu, 30 May 2002 16:33:54 +1000

Thanks Paul, for clearing up this debate we have been having, viz:

>> Processes != threads

I was of that view. I have spent most of the day delving into this and have
come to the conclusion that Python IS IN FACT threading within the process,
on openBSD. I also posted to the openBSD list and got a very useful reply to
the effect that the openBSD OS knows nothing about threads. So, I concluded
and discovered that Python acts as a VM, performing its' own internal thread
management. I understand from the configuration build that it will try and
use OS thread functions if available, or not, as the case may be.

>>TEST: If you see the "task # done"'s come up out of numerical order...

I ran the test as you suggested and lo and behold, I get exactly that!

>>For OpenBSD, are you building Python from scratch? Have you tried a
port/package?

Built from scratch, considered a package, but there is not yet a V2.1.3
available. We have been runing this environment in production for several
months, and on openBSD for 3 months or so.

This all started because of some serious performance issues when we
installed a new major product into our Zope envt. However, when we decided
to stop/start the Zopes (5 ZEO's), the performance issue went away. Which
now leads to a whole other bottle of fish....

>>Hope this helps...
>>Paul.

Yep, heaps! One should always try and learn something new every day...

thanks,
Graham