[Zope] How to Learn ZPT or DTML??

Jason Earl jason.earl@simplot.com
30 May 2002 12:04:19 -0600

Frank Peavy <fpeavy@pop.net> writes:

> Being new to Zope, I would like to minimize my learning curve to
> some extent.  I guess I am a little confused between the uses of
> TAL, ZPT and Python.
>
> Where should one start to learn TAL? or ZPT?

Zope Page Templates use TAL (Template Attribute Language).  You can't
learn one without the other.

I would heartily recommend that you read Chapter 5 (and Chapter 9) of
the Zope Book for an overview of how this technology works.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZopeBook/

I would strongly suggest taking a bit of static HTML, importing it
into Zope as a Page Template and then adding some TAL attributes to
add dynamic values.  Take a look at the default values of a new ZPT
for easy examples of things to try.  It's not particularly hard, but
it is a bit of a different mindset from other web programming toolkits
like PHP that mix the HTML and the business logic into one big gumbo
mishmash.

Good Luck
Jason