[Zope] Easy my *$%&#@$%!

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.pp.ru>
Fri, 31 May 2002 13:05:54 +0400

Hello!

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:32:22AM -0700, John Schinnerer wrote:
> Be honest now - how many of you saying "python is really easy to learn"
> or equivalent here recently would have said that when you first started
> using it?

   ME!!! :)

   When I firts tried to learn a scripting language I started with Perl, of
course - everyone used it, so why not me? It was a prob^H^H^H^Hnightmare
from the very beginning. I could not write even a simple script.
   A friend of mine recommended to try Python. I installed it - and whoo!!!
I started to write scripts the same day. Then I read docs... and since that
times I use Python for all my programming needs - and there are many needs,
I write command-line tools and filters, daemons and CGI-scripts...
   I changed job few times, and sometimes they tried to force me to use
Perl, but I never managed to pick up Perl properly. And I certainly love
Python, I love it more and more every new version.

   What is especially nice in the Python is Python community - all those
mailing lists and newsgroups, the spirit of it. It is very helpful. We are
fond of ourlanguage and tools, but we are not mad about it. Ask a perl
programmer "what tools and languages can I use for task X besides Perl" and
you'll have to find asbestos suite :) Ask python community - and they will
give you all kind of answers, including "use Perl, Ruby, Lua..." Funny,
right?

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd@phd.pp.ru