[Zope] version has tons of things locked

Christopher N. Deckard chris@globalfoo.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:49:04 -0500

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:03:58 -0000, Smith, Neil (Worcester) spoke
forth:

> I've had this problem recently too.  I reported it to the list but
> nobody answered.  Searching the archives I found one other person
> who had the same thing about six months ago.  I've had it reoccur
> since.  The only thing to do is to go through all your objects and
> make dummy changes to the things that are still locked to the
> version, then save the version again and they will then get saved.

Yeah.  That's exactly what happened with me.  As I mentioned in the
second email, packing to 0 (zero) days and going to the version
management in the Control Panel and saving ended up fixing the
problem.

> There are definitely bugs in the version stuff, but it seems to be
> fairly rare that it happens.  I've been trying to reproduce the
> problem, but no luck so far.  I'm using 2.4.3.  What version are
> you on?

2.5.1.  On another system that we have it's happened on 2.5.0 and
2.5.1.  But this is the first time I've actually caused it to
happen.  Previously it was just one user who seemed to have problems
with it (out of a couple hundred).  I didn't fix the other problem,
but another guy fixed it by connecting with a command line instance
of Zope and removing the version stuff programatically.

I wonder if it's related to the number of transactions.  (Yes,
shooting in the dark here.)  I also did some Undos, but I've never
had problems with those. I had well over 800 modifications to
objects in the zodb.

Maybe I'll try it again this weekend on a test server and see if I
can reproduce it.  Turn ZEO server logging on and see if either ZEO
client or server causes errors.

-Chris