[Zope] SMTP Authenticating MailHost

Etienne Labuschagne elabuschagne@gmsonline.co.za
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:37:39 +0200

Hi Tino,

How far are you, and are you working on a permanent solution, or a
temporary solution?

I have edited MailHost to accept user name and password and I feel it is
quite a complete update that should work fine.  I have updated both the
update and add ZMI interfaces.

The smtplib.py that I am using is another story.  It's a hack between the
new smtplib of Python 2.2 (with SMTP authentication) and the one bundled
with Zope (there are some issues with the socket module in Zope and the new
smtplib).  In addition, it contains a hack to make it work with our MS
Exchange server (they are working on a Patch and I have grabbed some code
from the latest patch diff, but not all of it - just to make it work with
our Exchange!).  I don't feel this is a great problem, because once the new
smtplib.py (and Python2.2) is bundled with Zope, everything should work
smoothly (my Mail Host is not dependant on my specific hacked smtplib.py,
only a authentication-aware smtplib.py such as the one bundled with Python2.2)

So, in short, it works for my system and I am prepared to share it with
whoever is interested, but give no guarantees whatsoever on it's performance.

If your solution is a more complete one and is near to completion, let me
know and I will refrain from "launching" this one.  On the other hand, if
you are still some ways off then I can launch mine as a temporary solution
as it seems there are quite a few people with SMTP authentication hassles.

Let me know if you are interested in looking at my version and I'll send it
to you.

Regards
Etienne

---------------

Hi Etienne,

--On Dienstag, 26. November 2002 13:24 +0200 Etienne Labuschagne
<elabuschagne@gmsonline.co.za> wrote:

 > Hi there,
 >
 > Is anyone working on an Authenticating MailHost that will allow SMTP
 > authentication (new smtplib that comes with Python 2.2 provides this
 > functionality)?
 >
 > Etienne

Yes, I am. But I dont know if there are any more available yet.

Regards
Tino