[Zope] Zope, CMF, WebDAV +Windows' Network Place and versioning.

Knut Meidal Knut.Meidal@om.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:05:25 -0700

Greetings!

I have been playing with Zope and CMF.
Scavenged an old HP Workstation, a B132L with PA-RISC processor, little RAM and
a small disk(2.1GB).
Got Debian Linux installed, along with debs of Zope, Zope-CMF. (PostgreSQL too,
in case I ever figure out how to move my data in there. Hints appreciated.)

I now have a test-CMF site running. I have created a few folders and users,
uploaded a few files, published and played around.

I saw that Zope-CMF supported WebDAV. And I saw the light.
My great vision was to create a Windows "Network Place" to read/write to Zope
directly from Windows.
This way, I envisioned, I could have people use familiar tools to save documents
to a familiar environment.
While at the same time, we could attach some metadata to the items, and use
versioning between files, with full accounting on who edited what file, when,
and possibly keeping track of several versions of the SAME FILE, in the SAME
PLACE using the SAME Filename.

It almost works. I can create "Network Places", save documents to the Zope
folders. Only thing missing is the ability to have Zope versioning on files
created in this manner.
Can it be done? Anyone else tried this approach? Experiences? Good? Bad? Do's
and DON'Ts?
Tips, tricks?
PostgreSQL pointers?

KnutM