[Zope] Trouble accessing Zope FTP port from XEmacs

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:16:43 -0500

(This is all on a Mac G4 Powerbook running MacOS 10.2.1.)

I got Zope 2.6.0beta1 installed a few days ago (right before the final 2.6.0
release I see), added postgresql and psycopgda, and began messing around
with SQL methods in preparation for some consulting work.

The last piece in the tool chain is to be able to edit Zope code from
something other than a <textarea>.  That's where XEmacs comes in, and where
my problems begin.  I'm running Zope in the default fashion, so it's
listening to port 8021 for ftp.  If I try to visit /admin@localhost:8021/
from XEmacs it correctly does the little efs dance, however, I always get
the error message:

    *ftp admin@localhost* seems not a pty. Kill? (y or n)

I see no messages scroll in the window from which I started Zope.  I can
connect to the running Zope using plain old ftp:

    % ftp localhost 8021
    Trying ::1...
    ftp: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    220 montanaro.dyndns.org FTP server (Medusa Async V1.21 [experimental]) ready.
    Name (localhost:skip): admin
    331 Password required.
    Password:
    230 Login successful.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp>

though the initial messages seem a bit weird to me.  I peeked at /etc/hosts
and saw two localhosts lines:

    127.0.0.1   localhost
    255.255.255.255     broadcasthost
    ::1             localhost

Figuring that was possibly the problem, I then tried visiting
/admin@127.0.0.1:8021/ from XEmacs.  Same error.  I poked around Google and
Google Groups looking for suggestions related to that error message, but
turned up nothing useful.

I don't know what the weird ::1 line is for, though I suspect it has
something to do with NetInfo, so I'm a bit leery of deleting it.

I did pause to try GNU Emacs.  Connecting to /admin@127.0.0.1:8021/ failed,
apparently because it didn't select port 8021, but instead tried to just
connect to port 21.

Any suggestions to get remote editing from XEmacs working?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip@pobox.com
http://www.mojam.com/