[Zope] Chandler - Open Source Mega-PIM

Alastair Burt burt@dfki.de
20 Oct 2002 18:25:07 +0200

I have just seen a reference to the Mitch Kapor's new venture. As I have
not so far seen it mentioned on the Zope or Python lists, I thought I would
post the info here. The venture is the building of an open-source Outlook
killer from scratch. More info here:

  http://www.osafoundation.org/index.htm

  http://blogs.osafoundation.org/mitch/

Little seems fixed at the moment, but they seem to be committed to Python,
ZODB and wxPython. I guess that they are not considerting using Zope
directly, or they would have put it in the list of technology, but if this
flies, it will have a major effect on the Zope world, I think
-- not least on the cataloguing side of things.

The planned features are:

      * POP/IMAP retrieval
      * HTML viewing and composition
      * auto-completion of addressees
      * stationery
      * signatures
      * multiple profiles/personalities/identities
      * spelling checker
      * auto-archiving of old mail
      * fast searching via full-text indexing
      * importing existing data and settings
      * in-line viewing of attachments
      * user-defined views, rules, and filters
      * user-scripting capabilities
      * "active" mail - mail with buttons for actions
      * transparent encryption and authentication of mail
      * automatic Spam filtering
      * filing of messages in multiple folders

  Information Sharing & Exchange

      * integrated Instant Messaging and presence management (Jabber)
      * sending contacts and appointments via mail (iCal, vCard support)
      * remote peer-to-peer browsing of others' data
      * flexible security model to control access
      * file and document sharing
      * remote queries, e.g., look up address in another person's contact list
      * automatic updating of information from remote sources: receive new
        contacts, changes to existing contacts automatically
        (publish-subscribe)

  Access

      * home and work PC's with complete automatic replication of data
      * online or offline use with access to all data
      * synchronize with popular PDA's

  Calendar

      * day/week/month views
      * recurring appointments
      * see another person's free/busy blocks for scheduling
      * see another person's calendars as overlays

  Other

      * simple Web-style navigation (back, forward, and home buttons,
        single click on a link to navigate, bookmarks, URL references to
        user data)
      * easily customizable user-defined categories
      * structure data how you like it, view it that way, change your mind
        at any time
      * automatic recognition of names, places, dates, and etc.; automatic
        categorization of items
      * developer extensibility architecture

--- Alastair