[Zope] Managing default_browser from the ZMI

Eron Lloyd elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:15:14 -0400

To all who worked on the 2.6 release, great work! I'm just now starting t=
o=20
process the changelog, and try to understand all the latest stuff. The on=
e=20
thing that kind of caught my eye is that during the first alpha release,=20
there was an entry that stated:

- added browser_default hook to ZPublisher. This allows objects to
  specify the path to the default method that the publisher calls
  when the object is published. The default for objects not defining
  browser_default is still 'index_html' for bw compatibility.
  A ZMI configurable browser_default implementation has been added
  to ObjectManager. You can configure browser_default for OMs via
  a new "settings" management tab.

which maps to this 2.6 proposal explaining the intentions of default_brow=
ser:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ObjectTypeAssociationAndDeath=
ToIndexHtml

This sounds like a very exciting feature, one that I hope didn't get lost=
 in=20
the shuffle of getting 2.6 out the door. A quick glance at OFS.ObjectMana=
ger=20
and ZPublisher doesn't show any sign of this new behavior. Now, I haven't=
=20
digested the rest of the changelog or the source yet, but the release=20
announcement does list "Addition of a new default view setting ability" a=
s=20
one of the new features. Was this deferred to 2.7 (which is completely=20
understandable)? Is help needed to bring it up to the Wiki proposal level=
?=20
Inquiring minds would love to know.

Still looking to bury index_html,

Eron