[Zope] exUserFolder

Schmidt, Allen J. aschmidt@nvcc.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:16:05 -0400

Ok, I got curious and dropped this into a new, test install of 2.6 on a
Windows 98 box and using MySQL.
I created a test folder and dropped a new instance in it. Using a MySQL user
table with about 2000 users in it, I changed the zsql methods to reflect the
column name change from the default of username. I basically accepted the
defaults when possible. After all that, it seems to work. Shows all the
users and I can look at them individually.

We are starting to implement a site membership/registration system into our
very large, production site.  We use a variety user auth systems now...one
of them using SQLSession to keep track of a user being logged in and our own
forms, etc. to handle the login and stuff. Also run a UBB forum and it also
has a MySQL users table with its own cookies and stuff for keeping track of
auth status.

Question:
I think XUF will work great for us. Comments on how well it will work using
the new built in session stuff to handle the new membership/registration
system? We will be adding lots of stuff we want to maintain about each user:
preferences, bio/demo type stuff, opt in email prefs, etc. We will need to
tie all this to the login.

So when a user sees any page on our site, they will either see a link to
login/register or text showing that they are logged in and a link to change
their preferences. Major areas of the site will have custom pref pages
relating only to that section.

Sorry for the length...but just needed to throw this out and see what comes
of it. Maybe just talking out loud to myself but hopefully someone will have
suggestions or comments....

Thanks!!!

-Allen