[Zope] zeo : use cases

Mark McEahern mark@mceahern.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:16:46 -0500

Suppose I start out with a single, standalone Zope server, and later realize
I want to utilize the scaling capacity of ZEO.  Here's how I would naively
assume this would work:

1.  Setup ZEO on another server (I know theoretically I can have ZEO on the
same server).
2.  Start ZEO.
3.  Stop Zope on ths standalone server.
4.  Backup Data.fs, place a copy on the ZEO server.
5.  Place a custom_zodb.py in the INSTANCE_HOME folder of the standalone
Zope server; the custom_zodb.py points to the ZEO server.
6.  Start Zope on the previously standalone server.

Is that all there is to it?  I'd be able to answer this question myself if I
could get ZEO running.  In the meantime, I'd very much appreciate any
insights into this seemingly common use case.

Thanks,

// mark

-