[Zope] Adding FTP and WEBDAV support to Product

Nils Kassube nika@comunit.de
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 21:14:21 +0200

"Charlie Reiman" <creiman@kefta.com> writes:

> I'm not sure what you mean. Zope supports those out of the box. You
> actually have to disable them if you don't want them. They usually
> don't figure into Product development anyway, just web
> development. You need file system access to build products. Zope's

He probably wants to do what he said he wanted to do: support
the import and export of objects via FTP and WebDAV.

An example: You can have a product, let's call it eDitoImage,
that offers some methods for doing things with images. Internally
it is, among other things, a container for multiple images in
different screen resolutions and image formats. For the outside
world, however, for the user trying to upload an image file
via WebDAV or FTP or HTTP, it looks like a single image file.

eDitoImage is a evil commercial, proprietary product, but
you _can_ read the source code of the Photo(Folder) product.
Try searching on the Zope site.

A more abstract example: You've got a very complex object but
you want users to be able to export and import instances
as XML files.

Chris A. Bruce wrote:

>> Can some please tell me what I need to include with my product
>> code to support FTP and WEBDAV.  I have never developed a product
>> before, and I am not sure which classes I should extend, or if
>> there is somekind of interface I need to use?

You will have to learn a thing or two and read a lot of
source code :-)

Fortunately, it's not really difficult. Read

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/index_html

WebDAV and FTP support is explained here:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/ObjectPublishing.stx