[Zope] Using a ZCLass property as TALES expression ?

Gilles Lenfant gilles@pilotsystems.net
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:50:14 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de>
To: "Gilles Lenfant" <gilles@pilotsystems.net>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Using a ZCLass property as TALES expression ?

> Gilles Lenfant writes:
>  > I'm actually building a ZClass for which some validation rules may be
>  > customized object per object.
>  > I think that using a TALES expression for that purpose may be a good
idea,
>  > but I can't find a way to execute a TALES expression in the context of
the
>  > current object, and get the result.
> I do not know of a "TTW" (Through The Web) way to evaluate a
> TALES expression (given as a string) in a given context.
>
> Of course, you can do it in an External Method. You will find
> several examples in the CMF (e.g. "ActionProviderBase", "DCWorkflow").
>

> Dieter

Many thanks Dieter,

I'm gonna look at these codes to get enlightenments.
IMHO, it would be a good idea to have this feature directly available from a
TTW Python script in a future Zope, when TALES expression are supposed to be
executed in a "secure" manner.

talesExpr = TalesCompile(aStringTALESexpression)
result = talesExpr.execute(context, REQUEST)

But perhaps I'm writing something silly :))

Cheers

--Gilles