[Zope] Zope Myths?

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:43:48 -0400

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 01:18 pm, Andy McKay wrote:
> > One final semi-myth you might want to cover: its slow.
>=20
> Actually I was referring to the myth that Zope is slow. This is a commo=
> idea. What a web server, database thing written in Python? That wont be=
 as
> fast as IIS / Apache / Java stuff will it? Etc....
>=20
> > If your ZPT is too slow, I would
> > say you are doing too much in ZPT.
>=20
> He he. Thats it back to DTML ;) I've never heard anyone say that before=
=2E

No I mean your ZPT "code" is too complex ;^)=20

Or just make your ZPT call out to DTML methods for speed (no I'm not seri=
ous=20
;^)

This could be generalized though as "your skin code is too complex", for =
best=20
performance do as much in external Python as possible, spitting convenien=
t=20
data structures for the skin code to play with (but you knew that). Lucki=
ly=20
this is even easier in Zope 3.
=20
> > ZPT is slower than DTML
>=20
> Yep, but one day some smart cookie will probably optimize the heck out =
of it
> C and it will be faster than DTML. But we all know caching is the real
> answer... Im not arguing that

I just don't think that's on anyone's radar right now...

-Casey