[Zope] Zope feature freeze project ??

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:08:39 +0200

From: "Julián Muñoz" <jmunoz@telefonica.net>
> There is an alternative way, which is the development of a Zope
> with feature freeze, and only bug fixes. And I think it is surely more
> economic and secure than updating all the products.

This is already how things are done. Both 2.4.3 and 2.4.4 are bug fix
releases that was made after 2.5.0, for example. But this can only go on for
a while, then you are expected to upgrade. Nobody does bug fixed on Zope 2.3
anymore, for example.

If you want to stay with 2.4 forever, you can. You can check out Zope 2.4
from the Zope CVS, and you can merge in new bugfixes into that branch. But
quite soon you'll notice that the bugfixes won't be mergeable, because they
are dependant on later reorganisations that you don't have.

I our experience, "staying behind" is not the most efficient option if you
are doing development on Zope. After around 6 to 12 months of being behind
on the development you will have spent more time working around the bugs and
replacing the missing features of newer version than you would have spent in
upgrading.

If you want to be bug free, skip the x.x.0 releases, but when x.x.1 comes,
upgrading will probably be the most time efficient option.

If you don't do any new development at all, but just have a site to manage,
then of course you don't need to upgrade at all, unless you suddenly find a
bug that haven't bothered you before.

Best Regards

Lennart Regebro, Torped
http://www.easypublisher.com/