[Zope] Zope vs. MS Sharepoint

working4aliving working4aliving@hotmail.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:00:03 -0400

Alrighty then...
I haven't touched SPS in about 6 months, so some of the info is dated, but.

1) $$$ .  nuff said. (I know you said that licensing wasn't an issue)
2) Sharepoint uses "web parts" for the portal part, vs. zope which is
totally open.  (I know, you can add html in SPS, but it's very limited to
layout).  I know you can change things around using CSS.
3) Sharepoint won't do over the internet (the new version or service pak or
whatever does, I hear, but I can't verify).
4) If you think zope is slow, you ain't seen nothing. (SPS is a memory pig
and performance hog).  I think you need a completely different class of
hardware to support the same amount of users on a SPS server vs. a ZOPE
server.
5) no cool lists like this for SPS.
6) SPS isn't really there for dynamic content, it's there for document
management, check-in, approval, etc.
7) SPS is limited to W2K, Zope is open. (and works well on W2k)
8) SPS doesn't use python, but you could probably script it in your html.
9) You can't have your own user database(s) in SPS, (AD or local security on
W2k).
10) Disaster recovery for SPS? hmmm.... I'm not sure,  I know I can backup /
restore ZOPE.
11) MS Office metatdata, yea, SPS is probably much better, but I don't know.
maybe someone can comment on zope's capabilitites.  I know that I can get to
everything with python, so it would only be a matter of doing it.
12) SPS has automatic document versioning, Zope has automatic nothing.  (Not
a bad thing).
13) Not sure if there's any ISPs that host SPS sites... (even if #3 above
isn't a problem).
14) I think in general, it's an apple Vs. oranges arguement.  Zope allows
you to link to databases directly into the interface, but so does SPS,
albeit differently...  If your skills are in python, then I'd lean towards
Zope, if your skills are in ASP .NET stuff, SPS probably is the answer. Make
sure you take a good look at all the contributions that people have made to
products and add-ons on ZOPE.  I think that kind of stuff gives ZOPE great
leverage.

Google is your friend... ($1 to whoever said that here)
One interesting quote...

...Well, Ian, I hate to say it, but you shouldn't depend on the newsgroups
support production systems! ...

What, you can tell I've been tweaking with the darn thing for over 60 hours
without sleep now? :)

Don't get me wrong. SPS is a great idea. Just a tad more than a file server,
but way much nicer (from user point of view) than any "real" document
management system. All this and spiffy web interface too. But someone should
make the internal mechanisms WAY much clearer in the documentation, so that
even rudimentary troubleshooting would be possible. Now it is shooting in
the dark, and I really, really hate it.

Obviously, these are from a SPS group, and not a ZOPE group!!!
Hey if you decide to go with SPS, i'll sell you my resource kit Cheap... I
only read it once, and the CD is still sealed :)  I'm NEVER going back.  If
your looking at Content management, they have a content management server
product also ($$$).

Rots of Ruck,
Bob.