[Zope] cross browser compatibility

Mark McEahern mark@mceahern.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:10:46 -0500

[Scott Meilicke]
> I look at my server logs over the past year and when a browser
> hits 2-3% or lower, stop worrying about back supporting its bugs
> and inconsistencies.

[Philip Kilner]
> What about browsers used by e.g. blind people who may use Lynx
> and the like to drive text-to-speech systems?

>From the context, I would assume Scott was referring to non-standards
compliant browsers.

Anyway, just to be explicit, I would assume the goals we all share are:

1.  Minimize or eliminate the need for workarounds for non-standards
compliant browsers.
2.  Design content that is accessible.
3.  Design content that is standards-compliant.

(2 and 3 have a certain synergy, but it's worth distinguishing them, I
guess.)

The problem is, sometimes it's the CEO or lead investor who has Netscape
4.x.

So what do Zope folks do to serve up different content?  I assume if you
serve up different HTML/CSS for different browsers in a Zope solution, that
doesn't extend all the way down to the actual content?

Cheers,

// mark

-