[Zope] newbie (sorry) form based authentication question

geoff@asri.org.au geoff@asri.org.au
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:41:06 +1000 (EST)

G'day,

I'm a real zope newbie so be nice.  :-)

I've been an avid Java/J2EE based web app developer and i'm sick of it -
lack of useful / free / open source java components means you pretty much
have to write everything yourself or pay for it... no fun there.

Anyway,  i'm looking at redeveloping a site using zope and i'm interested
in the way the authentication works.

Forgive me if I use the incorrect zope terminology - please correct me
though as I like to use the right terms.

Enough blah blah...

If I try to access a protected zope web page/template I get prompted with
a basic authentication dialog box...  Is there any way I can make that a
form based logon page instead?  I'd like to have a consistent form based
(only) logon methodology.

ie.  If i'm trying to access fred.html and I don't have access as the
'Anonymous User' then I get a page that says something like... you don't
have access to that resource & it includes a logon form... When I logon on
I either get access to the resource or I don't.

I'd like the same approach for other media resources such as PDF's etc.

Is this possible in Zope?

Cheers
Geoff