[Zope] List of "current" and deprecated products?

Mark McEahern marklists@mceahern.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:58:30 -0500

[David Mitchell]
> Watching the mailing list lately, there's been a lot of messages
> saying that "product X is old/deprecated, and you should be using
> product Y instead".  Like probably a few other relative newcomers
> developing their first few Zope solutions, this is starting to make
> me nervous...

> Is a list of current and deprecated products held in some central
> place?  I don't monitor the release of new products religiously, so
> I'm using those products that are covered in (outdated?)
> documentation rather than continually checking to see if there's
> something newer & better around.

There's clearly a gap.  This is an opportunity for someone.  They don't call
it open source for nuthin!

A related example:  The version of OrderedFolder (which is awesome!)
available from zope.org doesn't work on Windows.  A more recent version is
available elsewhere (0.51) that does:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/srichter/Products/OrderedFolder
  http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/OrderedFolder/Download

But there's no link from the former to the latter.

Another related gap:  Documentation is varied, redundant, and often out of
date, possibly abandoned.

Anybody know of a style guide for HOWTOs?  Not "Here's what font to use?",
but more along the lines of a suggested outline, important things to cover
(e.g., what versions of Zope does this HOWTO address, what platform, etc)?

It would be nice to have a rating system for HOWTOs.  Anybody can publish
one.  That's helpful:

  http://shirky.com/writings/broadcast_and_community.html

But you want to have a system that allows for filtering after someone
publishes.

All of this, it seems to me, is an opportunity for someone.  Once someone
cares enough about this and finds the time, they can provide a valuable
resource to the community by filling in these gaps.

Cheers,

// mark

-