[Zope] List of "current" and deprecated products?

Mark McEahern marklists@mceahern.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:04:00 -0500

[David Mitchell]
> Agree completely, Mark!  Unfortunately, this particular opportunity
> has the following characteristics:
>
> - it'll always be at least slightly out of date, meaning the
> maintainer will get hit with the metaphorical stick on a regular
> basis by ungrateful people (e.g. "Why are you recommending X?  Don't
> you know Y is out?  Don't you know ANYTHING?...")

Grateful or not, if they contribute/participate and provide valuable
information, I'd use it.

> - in order to create such a list, you'd have to be across an
> enormously diverse group of products.  I doubt whether any <<one>>
> person has that breadth of knowledge, save possibly someone working
> at zope.com fielding obscure support or technical questions day
> after day

The key word there is one.  Well, "person" too.  Think, the net, the
community.

> - to maintain the list, you'd have to have sufficient knowledge to
> not need to use it yourself.  In other words, you'd be providing a
> service that you yourself wouldn't need to use.  That's a BIG ask of
> just about anyone, unless they're getting paid to do it.

Great points.  Let's say there are two approaches to this:

1.  One person/organization takes this on as their task to manage this
information.
2.  One person/organization creates a system that allows the community to
manage this information.

2 seems preferable for many reasons, true?

Cheers,

// mark

-