[Zope] RE: List of "current" and deprecated products?

Mark McEahern marklists@mceahern.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:36:16 -0500

[Andreas Tille]
> Look at Debian or SourceForge.  I repeat my example from Debian.  Debian
> does not developing free software (with exception of the tools to run the
> system itself) but is just distributing it.  But if you want a stable
> system you have to verify the quality of the software which is done using
> the Bug Tracking System.  This means: Tools are provided to help improving
> the software we (I'm a Debian developer myself) are interested in.  The
> tools are used and upstream authors will be informed about their software.
> So third party software developers get feedback.  This is the way Open
> Source development works - isn't it?

Makes sense.  Thanks for explaining.

> > Publish then filter--I think that's the winning motto.
> Should I really repeat in posting examples where this was a really loosing
> motto.  Just browse the archive and you will see that you are wrong here.

I don't need no stinking archives to know I'm wrong.  <wink>

Anyway, I think we're in violent agreement.  By publish then filter, I mean
for example this:

Rather than putting up obstacles to people creating third party Zope
products (i.e., learning and using a bug tracking system, requiring them to
write documentation), let them party on.  However, you can provide style
guides, provide a feedback system--all voluntary stuff that lets the
community generate and filter quality.

If I still misunderstand your point, please clarify.

> I do not believe.  There are proves in the archive that you are wrong.

Rather than asserting that my entire Being is Wrong, it hurts a little less
if you say, "What you are saying is not true."  <wink>

Cheers,

// mark