[Zope] Can Zope Handle This Site ?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:06:32 -0700

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:50:34PM +0200, Toon Moene wrote:
> 1. Can Zope handle a site like this (items 1-3) ?

Zope scales well.  For heavy traffic, you'll want to run multiple
zope servers (as ZEO clients) and cache aggressively. A site
with content that changes rarely, like yours, lends itself well
to this strategy.  There's plenty of information on these
topics available. Just today I saw this link on this list:
http://www.zope.org/Members/richard/docs/zope_optimisation.html
Their traffic is in the same ballpark as yours (6 hits per sec.
= about 500K hits per day.)

> 2. Can it handle the update (items 4-5) ?

no problem. Writing to the ZODB does slow things down,
but it doesn't tend to be a problem unless you've got a
lot of visitors writing things to zodb frequently.
What you've described sounds pretty mild.

> 3. Is it possible to give a rough estimate of the amount of work
>    to bring this site under Zope's CMF (working hours) ?

No. :)

With that kind of traffic, I assume you have some money
to spend. Maybe give zope corp. a call and ask them
more detailed questions, or look for a zope consultant
who's familiar with setting up for heavy load.
Then you can get a better idea of how much work you're in for.

--

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"