[Zope] OT: drop down menus

Tim Hicks tim@sitefusion.co.uk
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:55:59 +0100

Sorry for the off-topic subject, but I figure there are a fair few
people on this list who have experience/interest in this.  It's quite a
common feature of websites.

I'm trying to find the most cross-platform, and most gracefully
degrading drop-down/pop-out menu system.

The solutions I've found and come up with so far are:

- http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/menubar/
	Has problems and strange behaviour in Konqueror.  It half works, 	which
is worse than not working at all as it leads to very 			ungraceful
degradation.

- http://www.brothercake.com/dropdown/
	Hasn't failed so far.  Seems a good choice.

- Flash menus
	Can be pretty certain about how they'll look in all browsers, 			and
with some flash-sniffing, you can make other arrangements 			when necessary.

- http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/hiermenus/
	Doesn't seem to work at all well in Konqueror.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Brothercake widget as my designer
sees problems with having potentially 'very tall flash movies' when
there are lots of items in the drop down.

Has anyone used any of the approaches I mention above?  Please share
experiences.  Got any other ideas?

cheers,

tim