[Zope] Help with CVS ZEO2 Client, Server on same Win32 machine

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@yahoo.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:56:56 -0400

I checked out the ZEO CVS today (ZEO2), The ZopeReadme is very clear and
focused. However, I am having trouble locating the point of failure on my
Windows XP setup. I think the clients and server are running, but I can't
access objects through the browser.

0) I have Python 2.2 installed at C:\Program Files\Zope for non-Zope use. It
is the default if you just type 'python' at a command prompt.
1) Zope 2.5.1 is installed in C:\Program Files\Zope  (as C:\Progra~1\Zope)
1a) Zope's Python 2.1.3 (#35)  is at C:\Progra~1\Zope\bin\python.exe
1b) I have Pythonwin for 2.1 installed on Zope's python, use it for the
browser,
      and hopefully soon with ZEO. I also have PyXML, reportlab and PIL in
there.
1c) Zope runs as a service, shut down before any of the following steps.

2) ZEO is at C:\Progra~1\Zope\lib\python\ZEO  (i.e. start.py is there)

3) C:\Progra~1\Zope\custom_zodb.py contains these lines:
from ZEO.ClientStorage import ClientStorage
Storage = ClientStorage(('', 8800))

(the one in the ZEO misc directory didn't seem to specify the port, I don't
know if it defaults to 8800, so I used this one from the ZopeReadme)

4) I open a command prompt and type:
C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib/python/ZEO/start.py -p 8800
(there is no display of status, but I don't get the cursor back. Is it
running?)

5) I open another command prompt and type:
C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib/python/ZEO/start.py -p 8800
I get a Win32 error/stop dialog with the following error.
"This application has failed to start because tk83.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
(This happens whenever I have run z2 from the command line (non service),
and it doesn't seem to have any other adverse affects. I don't know if this
is known behavior)
(there is no display of status as in normal Z2 debug mode, but I don't get
the cursor back. Is it running?)

6) In a browser, the ZMI doesn't respond:
http://localhost:8080/manage

FWIW, I have also tried step 5 as:
C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib/python/ZEO/start.py
and "net start zope" but with no result.

Can anyone spot the source of my mistake? Thanks, I'm looking forward to ZEO
in a big way.