[Zope] HEAD request and Content-Type

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:08:20 +0100

Ulrich Wisser wrote:
> today I found an interesting problem. When I make a HEAD
> request to Zope the answer is something not really expected.
> The Content-type is wrong.

Search the archives, this has been discussed many many times before.
The thinking goes that to compute the correct content type (and length!) would
mean rendering the URL as if a GET request had been made, and would probably be
too expensive. Hence HEAD returns dummy values.

This means Zope fails to comply with a number of RFCs, and it can be a headache
but no-one is finding this itch sufficiently irritating to scratch :-(

Fancy doing some Zope development work? ;-)

cheers,

Chris