[Zope] another newbie rewrite problem

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
02 Apr 2003 09:04:24 -0800

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 07:50, Dan Donaldson wrote:
> I'm new to the list

Welcome.  I'll give this a shot.

Huge caveat: I use Apache 1.3.  If something I say is moronic WRT Apache
2, just ignore me.  :-)

> <VirtualHost 10.1.3.225>
> ServerName 10.1.3.225
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^/(.*)
> RewriteRule ^/Zope/(.*) http://10.1.3.225:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/10.1.3.225:80/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
> </VirtualHost>

Here's what I'd try, in order... test after each step to see if you get
any joy and/or useful errors:

1. Comment out DocumentRoot
2. Comment out the RewriteCond
3. Move your RewriteRule outside of the vhost block.
4. Add a ServerAlias directive

Not that any of those steps is necessarily how you want the final
configtion to look, of course... but you'll probably find your problem.
So far, it doesn't sound like you're even hitting Zope yet, so I'd
fiddle with httpd.conf until you at least get a *Zope* error message.
*Then* you should worry about whether you crafted the url correctly.

> So there is some issue around authentication, I guess...

That should be established by step 2 or 3.

> I added a VHM in the folder /dantest, called it zopeIHope,

Not necessary.  You just need one in the root and the name is
irrelevant.

HTH... I hope one of those troubleshooting steps helps identify your
problem.  Feel free to share any entries from your Apache logs that
might be illuminating.

Dylan