[Zope] Re: Umlauts in Structured Documents

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:36:58 +0200

Stephan Goeldi wrote:
> I have some trouble with Stuctured Documents (Version 1.0) and umlauts.
> Umlauts are changed to some unreadable text (2 characters) after some
> time. When I use HTML-Umlauts, it works to view, but the ZCatalog
> doesn't anymore find documents when a user doesn't soerch for the
> HTML-Umlauts.

Hi Stephan!

Which Zope-version do you use? I use Structured Document a lot with Zope
2.6.1 and encountered no problems with "Umlauts".

 > Umlauts are changed to some unreadable text (2 characters) after some
 > time.

Seems to be that your browser switches from ISO-8859-1 to Unicode.
Please check this in "View -> Character Coding" of your Browser. The
page should be fine if you turn it back to ISO-8859-1, right?  This
problem can happen if you use methods like manage_changeProperties
(setting a unicode-charset for the RESPONSE) "on the fly". Inserting
something like

<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-type','text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1;')">

in the "standard_html_footer" (please note that I wrote FOOTER!!!
setHeader should be called as the last action, so it wins the run for
the charset) should solve the problem.

Working with "HTML-Umlauts" in StructuredDocument is fine for me too. I
use ZCTextIndex.

Cheers, Maik