[Zope] Progress information for long running process

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:41:32 -0400

Eddie M?nch wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Could someone help with this problem:
>I have a long running process performed with an external method. Long
>means > 30 min. At the and I'm giving back HTML code to the calling
>object. What I need now is same sort of progress information on the web
>page (e.g. Processing step 50 out of 100). Has anyone an idea how to do
>this?

Actually, I would probably try something completely different.  I would
immediately return something like:

'Your job is being processed.  As this job takes a long time to perform,
and there is no good reason to tie up you and your browser, I will send
you an email when this is done telling you where you may pick up your
results.'

Then send an email with an URI to the result.

Jim Penny